Result 1 of 1

Record Image Record Image Record Image Record Image

Registration Number: H2754

Name or Title: Wedding Dress

Classification: CH classification COSTUME Wedding woman

Brief Description: Wedding dress, two-piece, that comprises bodice and trained skirt, made of cream silk brocade featuring sprig of flowers and embellished with lace and clusters of orange blossoms.

Collection: Social History

Production Place: London/England

Production Date: 1894-1895

Materials: Silk brocade, silk satin, cotton net, metal

Measurement : 1. Bodice -
Centre front: 465 mm
Centre back: 475 mm
Sleeve length to point: 783 mm
Collar height at centre back: 75 mm;
Waist: 60 cm
2. Skirt
Centre front: 1073 mm
Centre back: 2117 mm
Width of train: 1550 mm

History and Use: The two-piece wedding dress, made by a Mrs W.T. Nassau on 48 & 50 Annerley Road, Crystal Palace S.E. London, c. 1894, comprises of a bodice with high neck collar, long sleeves with large puffy shoulders embellished with lace around the chest and sleeve cuffs; and a trained skirt made of cream silk brocade, featuring sprigs of flowers, embellished with lace and clusters of orange blossoms down the side back. Orange blossoms have traditionally been worn by brides throughout the Victorian period in Europe as the flower symbolised purity, chastity, innocence and fertility. It was common for orange blossoms to be adorned in bridal wreaths, headdress’, bouquets and sometimes pinned to bridal gowns such is the case with this garment.

The wedding dress was made for the donor's grandmother, Henrietta Sara Cooper Tinsley in Liverpool, England when she married Mr William Houlding on 8th April 1895. William was the son of John Houlding, founder of the Everton and Liverpool Football Clubs, owner of Houldings Brewery and for a short while, Lord Mayor of Liverpool in 1897-1898. William Houlding became Chairman of Liverpool Football Club from 1896-1904. Henrietta Sara Houlding then acted as Lady Mayoress during this time.

Lavinia Napier, the grand-daughter of Henrietta, later wore the dress on 4th January 1947, when she married Polish army officer, Mr Cyril Czarkowski-Golejewski in St Peter's Church, Peebles, Scotland. The donor and her husband later emigrated to Kenya in 1948 and then to Emerald, Queensland in 1957. The couple had three children and the family grazed sheep and cattle. The wedding dress was brought to Queensland in 1957 by Lavinia Napier and donated to the Queensland Museum in the early 2000's.

  • Select this result
  • Shortlist Functions
  • 0 results in shortlist

About the database

The Queensland Museum collection Online is a work in progress. New records, updates and images are added regularly.


If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about an object or specimen, please email: