Object Advanced Search : Transport

Results 76 to 100 of 713

Page 4 of 29

Click for Details
Registration Number H14825
Classification CH classification ESSENTIAL SERVICES Ambulance litter
Name or Title Ambulance Litter
Production Place Brisbane/Queensland/Australia
History and Use

This litter belonged to the Queensland Ambulance Transport Brigade (QATB) Toowoomba and dates from the first decade of the 20th century. The patient would be pushed by two ambulance bearers to the hospital or doctor. Often ambulance litters would be towed behind dog carts to the scene of an accident.A step-down axle allowed ambulance bearers removing the stretcher with patient to step over the axle, rather than lifting the patient over the wheel. Ambulance litters were used around town streets until around 1915 when motor ambulances became common, but litters were still used at sporting grounds to carry injured athletes, and at hospitals. (Bolton Collection)

  • Top
Click for Details
Registration Number H14831
Classification CH classification TRANSPORT Horse buggy
Name or Title Ladies Phaeton Buggy
History and Use

Phaetons originated in Britain. The diverse varieties of phaetons were all owner-driven vehicles, unlike other high-class carriages driven by coachmen. Phaetons were named after a reckless young god from Greek mythology who lost control of his father’s chariot, (the sun with four horses). Phaeton would have burned up the Earth if he had not been struck dead by a thunderbolt from Zeus.

Later phaetons were low-set, comfortable carriages easier to enter than most vehicles. They were favoured by ladies and 'portly' gentlemen from the time of George IV 1820—30. (Bolton Collection)

  • Top
Click for Details
Registration Number H14820
Classification CH classification TRANSPORT Horse horse caravan
Name or Title Horse Caravan
History and Use

This was a Melbourne furniture van which was converted to a caravan for holidays. The original canvas roof was replaced by metal in the 1960s. It is fitted with a pole for two horses. Many businesses borrowed furniture vans for staff picnics. It could carry up to 30 people on improvised seats. The van was probably built by Deumers of Richmond in Melbourne who specialised in furniture vans.

This vehicle was bought from Melbourne to Toowoomba in the early 1950s by the (Bolton Collection)

  • Top
Click for Details
Registration Number H14829
Classification CH classification TRANSPORT Horse dray
Name or Title Toolburra Dray
Production Place Queensland/Australia
History and Use

Drays were used as general heavy transport vehicles. This one was described as a three-ton wool dray by Mr Hector Donald McDonald who purchased it at South Toolburra clearance sale in 1937. He used the dray with one horse to cart wood on his property, Evandale, until it was sold in 1962. (Bolton Collection)

  • Top
Click for Details
Registration Number H14824
Classification CH classification TRANSPORT Horse buggy
Name or Title Cut-Under Buggy
History and Use

This carriage was owned by the Giles family of Sandgate, Brisbane. Cut-under buggies were quite stlish and expensive vehicles. They were also practical in towns because they had a smaller turning circle than most buggies. The floor under the front seat is raised, allowing the front wheels to move partly under the the body when cornering. (Bolton Collection)

  • Top
Click for Details
Registration Number R814.1
Classification CH classification MACHINERY Pumps steam pump
Name or Title Steam Pumping Plant - Grandchester Engine
Production Place Leeds/West Yorkshire/England
Production Date 1868
History and Use

This steam-driven water pump was installed at Grandchester in 1868 to pump water from Western Creek to the locomotive water tank at Grandchester Station.

The engine unit was built by Carrett, Marshall & Co, Sun Foundry in Leeds, England. The railway, operated at that time by Southern & Western Railway required water to supply steam locomotives operating the line from Ipswich to Grandchester. The pumping rate of the unit was 2475 litres per hour.

  • Top
Click for Details
Registration Number R41
Classification CH classification CIVIC MEMENTOES Plaques plaques
Name or Title Plaque - Class A10 Locomotive
Production Date 1965
History and Use

This plaque was attached to the cab side of Class A10 No.6 when it was donated to Queensland Railways by Gibson & Howes Ltd, Bingera Plantation in 1965 as part of the Railways centenary celebrations. The plaque gives a brief over view of the history of A10 No.6. It worked special trains between 1965 and 1969 before being placed in the Redbank Locomotive Museum in 1970 as a static exhibit. The plaque was removed for safekeeping when No.6 was removed for restoration to working order by the Australian Railway Historical Society (Queensland Division) in 1989.

Uploaded to the Web 27 May 2011.

  • Top
Click for Details
Registration Number R17
Classification CH classification CIVIC MEMENTOES Plaques plaques
Name or Title Commemorative Plaque - Electrification Petrie - Central 23 April 1983
Production Date 1983
History and Use

Commemorative plaque from Petrie railway station celebrating opening of suburban electrification project for the section Petrie to Central on 23 April 1983.

  • Top
Click for Details
Registration Number R18
Classification CH classification CIVIC MEMENTOES Plaques plaques
Name or Title Commemorative Plaque
Production Place Ipswich/South East/Queensland/Australia
Production Date 1970-1980
History and Use

Commemorative plaque acknowledging the past officers in charge of the Auxilliary at Ipswich Railway Workshops 1925 - 1980.

  • Top
Click for Details
Registration Number R184.1
Classification CH classification TROPHIES AND AWARDS Public Events trophy
Name or Title Trophy Cup
Production Place Sheffield/South Yorkshire/England
Production Date 1923
History and Use

This trophy was won by the Ipswich Railway Band at a competition sponsored by the Daily Mail newspaper at a Championship Carnival in 1923.
The Ipswich Railway Band was established in 1913, receiving a subsidy of £100 from the Commissioner of Queensland Railways to assist with buying instruments. It existed for only 21 years, but during that time, it reached a high standard and was a source of pride for both the Ipswich Railway Workshops and the Ipswich community.

  • Top
Click for Details
Registration Number R39
Classification CH classification CIVIC MEMENTOES Plaques plaques
Name or Title Commemorative Plaque - Opening Queensland Railways Locomotive Museum
Production Date 1970
History and Use

This commemorative plaque was mounted on a plinth in the middle of the Redbank Locomotive Museum grounds. It was unveiled during the official opening ceremony of the Redbank Locomotive Museum by W.E. Knox M.L.A., Minister for Transport on 7 February 1970. The plaque was removed when the museum was closed in 1992.

Uploaded to the Web 27 May 2011.

  • Top
Click for Details
Registration Number R184.2
Classification CH classification TROPHIES AND AWARDS Public Events trophy
Name or Title Trophy Lid
  • Top
Click for Details
Registration Number H47630
Classification CH classification TRANSPORT Motor Vehicles car
CH classification TRANSPORT Motor Vehicle Accessories
Name or Title FN Type 1500 Car
Production Place Belgium
Production Date 1900-1920
History and Use

This car was given to Mrs Margaret Helena Cameron as a wedding present by her father, Sir David Hardie, MD, LLD, of Firhall, Wickham Tce. The wedding was on 28th February 1912, held at Saint Paul's Presbyterian Church, Brisbane. The car was bought new, probably in 1911, the bidywork having been added locally by E J & W Peel, carriage builders of Stanlet Street, South Brisbane.

Nicknamed 'Fanny', the car was initially used on the Cameron's property "Caledonia" at Aramac (Queensland), and after the First World War on "Glen Nevis" at Dalvene.

Helena's husband, Percival Lodge Cameron (3624) had served as a Gunner with the 49th Battaltion during the First World War, and was twice wounded in action. Initially gassed on 24th March 1918, he was again wounded on 18th September 1918 when an 18 Pdr. shell exploded causing him burns to the face, neck and hands. He was repatriated to Australia on 21st December 1918. Because of his war injuries Percival could not return to the Longreach district, the Cameron's electing instead to settle at 'Glen
Nevis', Dalveen, near Stannthorpe. Percival Cameron passed away at 'Glen Nevis' in 24th June 1940.

In 1958 Helena Cameron loaned the FN to the Vintage Car Club of Queensland. Alan Hale was appointed the vehicle's custodian, being responsible also for its restoration and subsequent operation during numerous rallies. It was returned to the Cameron's following his death in 1975. In 1978 it was loaned to the Queensland, ownership eventually transferring to the Queensland Museum after Helena's death on 1st April 1980.

  • Top
Click for Details
Registration Number H14808
Classification CH classification TRANSPORT Horse buggy
Name or Title Piano Box Buggy
History and Use

Piano box buggies were first made in the 1850s, and became the most popular style of buggy in the USA and Australia. Some were made in small carriagebuilder's workshops,but large carriage factories in the United States also made piano box buggies by the thousands. The name suggests the body looks like a piano lying down. Although they were light weight buggies piano box buggies were durable enough to use on country dirt tracks. (Bolton Collection)

  • Top
Click for Details
Registration Number H22584
Classification CH classification TRANSPORT Horse buggy
Name or Title Whitechapel Buggy
Production Place Queensland/Australia
Production Date 1887-1907
History and Use

This whitechapel buggy is in unrestored condition. It still has rubber tyres and the hood from its period on the road. The makers plate on the back of the seat reads A.E. Roberts Carriage Motor Works Ipswich. The Roberts family donated this vehicle built around 1900 to the Queensland Museum in 1982. A.E. Roberts (& Son) were highly respected coachbuilders in Ipswich from 1884 to the 1930s, and built a range of vehicles from fine carriages and hearses, buggies and sulkies, to farm wagons and carts.

  • Top
Click for Details
Registration Number R6048
Classification CH classification DOCUMENTS Memorials & Addresses memorial
Name or Title Silk Address -Inauguration of the Works of the First Queensland Railway
Production Place Ipswich/South East/Queensland/Australia
Production Date 1864
History and Use

This invitation, in the form of a Silk Address, is for the inauguration of construction for Queensland's first railway from Ipswich to Bigge's Camp (Grandchester) held on 25 February 1864.

The construction of the railway from Ipswich towards Toowoomba was a much-debated and key activity in the development of a transport network in Queensland. The Inauguration of Construction was marked by the "turning of the first sod". The event was attended by the Governor, Sir George Bowen, and his wife, Lady Diamantina Bowen, together with prominent Railway officials, the Mayor and councillors of Ipswich and a large crowd of spectators. Reported in detail in the newspapers of the day, the event was seen as an important day for the fledgling colony.

  • Top
Click for Details
Registration Number R6049
Classification CH classification TRANSPORT Railways carriage fitting
CH classification DOCUMENTS
Name or Title Patent Document and Seal
Production Date 11 Dec 1873
History and Use

This patent document and seal is for a self-locking latch for railway carriages. The device was patented in 1876 by James Maxwell in Scotland. James Maxwell was retired and in his 70s at the time he invented the device. James Maxwell had a son, David Maxwell, who immigrated to Ballarat to take up the position of Head Engineer of the Ballarat Power Station in 1910. The patent was handed down through the family.

The patent document and seal were donated to The Workshops Rail Museum by Sue Brown, James Maxwell's great great granddaughter.

  • Top
Click for Details
Registration Number R20
Classification CH classification
CH classification TRANSPORT
CH classification TOOLS Tools boiler stokers shovel
Name or Title Coal Shovel
Production Place New South Wales/Australia
Production Date 1958
History and Use

This shovel was used during the delivery of BB18 1/4 Class No.1089 locomotive, the last Australian-built main line steam locomotive, constructed by Walkers Ltd, Maryborough and delivered to Queensland Railways on 13 March 1958. Mr H. O. Jones, the District Locomotive Engineer of Maryborough, recognising the significance of this delivery retained the shovel.
This type of shovel was an important implement on the footplate of a steam locomotive. Without it the fireman could not shovel coal into the firebox of the locomotive's boiler to maintain steam pressure for the locomotive driver.

  • Top
Click for Details
Registration Number R828
Classification CH classification TRANSPORT Railways
Name or Title Builder's Plate - C17 Class Locomotive No. 938
Production Place Granville/Sydney/New South Wales/Australia
Production Date 1949
History and Use

This builder's plate is from C17 Class No.938 which entered service in November 1949. It spent its whole life in the Central Division working out of depots at Alpha, Rockhampton, Mount Morgan and Mackay. No.938 was wriiten off 15 May 1968.

  • Top
Click for Details
Registration Number R833
Classification CH classification TRANSPORT Railways
Name or Title Builder's Plate - PB15 Class Locomotive No.447
Production Place Maryborough/South East/Queensland/Australia
Production Date 1908
History and Use

A builder's plate from a Queensland Railways PB15 Class No.447 which entered service in September 1908.
The PB 15 locomotive was based in the Southern Division, working out of depots at North Bundaberg, Gympie, Maryborough, Ipswich, Mayne and Wooloongabba. No.447 was written off in May 1965

Uploaded to the Web 27 May 2011.

  • Top
Click for Details
Registration Number R832
Classification CH classification TRANSPORT Railways
Name or Title Builder's Plate - C17 Class Locomotive No.757
Production Place Kangaroo Point/Brisbane/Queensland/Australia
Production Date 1927
History and Use

This is a builder's plate off Queensland Railways C17 Class locomotive No.757 which entered service in October 1927. It was the last locomotive to be built by Evans, Anderson, Phelan. It was based in the Northern Division and was written off in September 1960.

Uploaded to the Web 27 May 2011.

  • Top
Click for Details
Registration Number R1111
Classification CH classification TRANSPORT Railways
Name or Title Smoke Box Decorative Crest
Production Place Queensland/Australia
Production Date 1934
History and Use

This crest was mounted on the front of the locomotive used during the Queensland leg of the visit to Australia by the Duke of Gloucester in 1934. It was mounted on the front of the smokebox of the locomotive that pulled the Vice-Regal carriage used for the visit.
The Duke of Gloucester was later named as Governor-General of Australia (the first member of the British royal family appointed to that post) serving from 1945-1947.

  • Top
Click for Details
Registration Number R829
Classification CH classification TRANSPORT Railways
Name or Title Builder's Plate - C16 Class locomotive No.110
Production Place Toowoomba/South East/Queensland/Australia
Production Date 1914
History and Use

A builder's plate from a C16 Class locomotive built in 1914 by Toowoomba Foundry. It entered service with Queensland Railways No.110 on 10 August 1915 and worked in the Southern Division around Toowoomba and Warwick. No.110 was written off 28 May 1962.

  • Top
Click for Details
Registration Number R1054
Classification CH classification TRANSPORT Railways
Name or Title Electric Staff Hoop
History and Use

A Staff Hoop was used during railway safeworking to pass up to a locomotive crew a metal bar called a staff which "gave permission" for the locomotive/train to proceed along the next single track section.

Uploaded to the Web 27 May 2011.

  • Top
Click for Details
Registration Number R389
Classification CH classification TRANSPORT Railways
Name or Title Destination Board - "Tully - Cairns"
History and Use

This destination board, displayed on the side (along roof line) of red rail motors, was used on local services between Cairns and Tully. Tully would be shown on the journey from Cairns then the board would be turned over to display Cairns on the return journey.

  • Top
  • Shortlist Functions
  • 0 results in shortlist


About the database

The Queensland Museum collection Online is a work in progress. New records, updates and images are added regularly.


Feedback

If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about an object or specimen, please email:
qm.vernon@qm.qld.gov.au

Page 4 of 29