Red Cross Keyring

Country
Australia
State/Province
Queensland
See full details

Object Detail


Description
Keyring promoting Red Cross blood donations. Acrylic quadrilateral fob with black field charged with a red drop, charged in turn with a voided Greek cross. Chinese script on fob and on product label. Keyring is still sealed in original plastic packet.
Classification
CH classification PERSONAL EFFECTS Keyrings & Knives key ring
Measurements
L35 x W28 x 3 mm
Media/Materials description
Steel, acrylic.
Signature/Marks
Chinese inscription
History and use
The objects in this collection are dated between 1936 and 1972. They belonged to several people connected with Brisbane’s early blood transfusion service, including the Director of the Brisbane service ca.1950s to 1970s, Dr A E Shaw, and Dr H C Taylor, one of the service’s main practitioners in the 1960s.

The Red Cross commenced operation in Australia in 1914 with the primary aim of sending care parcels to WW1 troops. The service quickly expanded to provide a range of services including medical transport (of patients and equipment) and a tracing and messaging service (for contacting military personnel). Post-war, the emphasis was on relief efforts and medical care for returned servicemen.

The Red Cross Blood Transfusion Service was started in 1929 in Melbourne, with Brisbane’s service opening in 1933. The Australian Red Cross ‘Blood Bank’ continues to be Australia’s primary service for the collection and supply of blood products.
Associated person
Registration number
H47899

Country

State/Province

Category

Colours

Share