Mentioned in Dispatches, Captain James Alexander Robinson, 13 November 1916, signed by Winston Churchill as Secretary of State for War.
Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill
L222 x W185 mm
Weight 5 gms
Support: paper wove cream. Medium: Black printing ink, blue printing ink, calligraphy in sepia ink, signature black stamp.
DIEU ET MON DROIT \ The War of 1914-1918 \ Australian Imperial Force. \ Capt. J.A. Robinson, 26th Bn. \ was mentioned in a Despatch from \ Field Marshall Sir Douglas Haig. K.T., G.C.B., G.C.V.O., K.C.J.E. \ dated 13th. November 1916 \ for gallant and distinguished services in the Field. \ I have it in command from the King to record His Majesty's \ high appreciation of the services rendered. \ Winston S. Churchill \ Secretary of State for War \ War Office \ Whitehall. S.W. \ 1st. March 1919
History and use
James Alexander Robinson’s service during World War 1 began in May 1915 when he joined the 26th Battalion, the largely Queensland derived infantry unit, and served in Gallipoli and on the Western Front. While on the Western Front he was awarded the Distinguished Service Order and mentioned in dispatches several times. In June 1918 he supervised the salvage of German AV7 tank “Mephisto” and subsequently devoted some time to ensuring this war trophy was permanently housed in Queensland. He credited the decision to the Qld Governor Sir Hamilton Goold-Adams, to whom he was Aide de Camp in 1919.
Robinson was appointed Member of the British Empire in June 1966 for services to education in Queensland. Robinson was born in 1888 at Nudgee, Brisbane. He had a long career as an educator, beginning in 1901 when he became a pupil teacher. He was a founding student of the University of Qld (BA, 1915). After serving in WW1 he became principal of Rockhampton State High School and Technical College. In 1935 he became principal of the Qld Teachers Training College, and was instrumental in its move to Kelvin Grove. After overseeing important changes to teacher training methods, he retired in 1954 but continued in an advisory role until 1956. He also served on numerous boards and advisory bodies.