Nameboard - "Endeavour"
See full details
The Cooktown Railway was built between Cooktown and Laura a distance of 100 km which opened on 8 October 1888. Initially the line was worked by steam locomotives but a railmotor was introduced to work the line due to poor traffic earnings.
It is unusual in Queensland for locomotives to be named let alone railmotors. The first railmotor at Cooktown was named "Captain Cook". A 45 hp rail motor, RM32 was sent to the line in 1929 and named "Endeavour". RM32 ran until 1944 when it was replaced by RM23 which apparently did not carry a name.
RM23 was replaced by RM25 in October 1950. By 1958 the body on RM23 was very dilapidated so a body and parts for RM58 was sent from Cairns and the parts combined to make one unit. The Cairns railway workshops painted two nameboards for "Endeavour" but these were never fitted. The Cooktown Railway closed 31 December 1961.