Number Plate - B18 1/4 Class locomotive No.907

Production date
1942
Country
Australia
State/Province
Queensland
See full details

Object Detail


Description
A rectangular brass plate with polished raised border and numerals. The recessed background is painted red. The corners are scalloped and there is a screw hole in each corner.
Classification
CH classification TRANSPORT Railways locomotive number plate
Measurements
L309 x W179 xH21mm
Media/Materials description
Cast brass, paint
Signature/Marks
907
History and use
B18 1/4 class locomotives were built by Queensland Railways to meet the needs of an expanding network from 1926. The 4-6-2 wheel arrangement design was built until 1947 (with some modifications made over the years) as the locomotives were so successful in Queensland.

A prototype (No.84) was built at the Ipswich Railway Workshops and tested in 1926. After successful trials, 16 more were built at the IRW between 1928 - 1930.

A further 12 were built at the IRW in 1935-36 and Walkers Limited of Maryborough built a further six in 1936 and another six in 1939. During the Second World War production of the class continued with the IRW building seven in 1940, 11 in 1941, four in 1942 and three in 1943. Walkers built six in 1943 and delivered the last of the B18 ¼s in 1947.

B18 ¼ No. 907 was built at the IRW (works number 195) in 1942 and entered service in December 1942. It was written off in September 1968. Much of its working life was spent based in the Southern Division at the Ipswich Roundhouse or Mayne Depot.
Registration number
R6786

Country

State/Province

Colours

Share