Number Plate - C16 Locomotive No.664

Production date
1913
Country
Australia
State/Province
Queensland
See full details

Object Detail


Description
Rectangular cast brass plate. The border and numerals are raised polished brass with the background painted red. The corners are scalloped with a screw hole at each corner.
Classification
CH classification TRANSPORT Railways locomotive number plate
Measurements
L444 x W172 x H23mm
Media/Materials description
Cast brass, paint
Signature/Marks
No. 664
History and use
In 1902 Queensland Government Railways decided to design a new locomotive with a 4-8-0 wheel arrangement and 16 x 22 inch cylinders. The new locomotive prototype was built at the Ipswich Railway Workshops in 1903 and was named the C16 class (sometimes referred to as the Ipswich C16 to differentiate them from the Baldwin C16 class).

After successfully testing the design and establishing where the locomotive was able to work due to bridge weight limits, the design was put into production with 20 C16s ordered in 1906. Eventually 152 C16s were built from 1903 – 1918 by the Ipswich Railway Workshops (51), Evans, Anderson, Phelan & Co (41), the Toowoomba Foundry (15) and Walkers Limited (45).

The C16s were originally envisioned to work mainly hauling livestock trains in the Central and Northern Divisions but some were used to run the Sydney Mail and passenger services. As lines were strengthened so they could run heavier trains in the 1930s, C16s were used for goods work right across Queensland.

C16 No.664 was built by Evans, Anderson, Phelan & Co in 1913 (works number 125) and entered service in August of the same year. It was written off in November 1964.
Registration number
R6788

Country

State/Province

Colours

Share