Builder's Plate - C19 Locomotive No.794
See full details
Work began on the C19s at the Ipswich Railway Workshop with materials originally allocated for C18s. Ten were built in the original order with the first entering service in October 1922. Of the 26 C19s, 20 were built at the IRW and six at Walkers Limited in Maryborough in 1935. As they were the largest steam locomotive class used in Queensland prior to the adoption of Beyer Garratts, their use was limited by the Railway Department who were wary of additional weight on the timber bridges used throughout the network.
Consequently when the North Coast Line opened in 1924, C19s were only able to travel as far north as Bundaberg. Eventually their heaviness meant they were unsuitable for work further north and they rarely worked beyond Mackay. C19s predominately worked in the Southern Division on goods and mail train services although a few C19s were also based in Rockhampton.
The class were prone to developing major issues like cracked frames and this led to the C19s being phased out from the 1950s whereas some other 1920-1930 designed QR locomotives were used until the late 1960s.
C19 No. 794 was built at the Ipswich Railway Workshops (works number 117) in 1927 and entered service in March of the same year. It was written off in June 1962.