Steam Locomotive - PB15 No.444

Production date
1908
Country
Australia
State/Province
Queensland
See full details

Object Detail


Description
Steam Locomotive. 4-6-0 Wheel Arrangement, Class PB15 No.444
Paint scheme mainly black with red lining, brass boiler bands
Classification
CH classification TRANSPORT Railways steam locomotive
Maker
Measurements
L14480 x W2395 xH3664 mm
Media/Materials description
Indeterminate (Metals - Ferrous) Brass (Metals - Non-Ferrous) Indeterminate (Glass)
Signature/Marks
No. 444
444
444
PB\15
WORKING PRESSURE\LBS\PER SQ.IN
160\150
W.p.r
0\25\50\75\100\125\150\175\200\225\250
WESTINGHOUSE\BRAKE (AUSTRALASIA)\PTY.LTD.\RED HAND MAIN RES\BLACK HAND EQ'L'G RES
10\30\50\70\90\110\130\150\170\200
444\SWD\W
History and use
No.444 is a PB15 Class 4-6-0 locomotive. Built in 1908 by Walkers Ltd at Maryborough, it entered service in July 1908. Based at Roma for most of its working life, it serviced mainly south-west Queensland. PB15 No. 444 ran almost 2,000,000 km in its life. In October 1968 it hauled the last 'official' steam train in the Brisbane area for Queensland Railways.
Introduced in 1900, more than 200 PB15 class locomotives were built for Queensland Railways. They were designed for country passenger trains but were also used for goods trains and suburban passenger trains.
PB15 locomotives were replaced by Diesel Electric locomotives in the 1960s and PB15 No.444 was withdrawn from service in October 1969.
Associated person
Registration number
R5863

Country

State/Province

Colours

Share