Builder's Plate - Australian Standard Garratt Locomotive
See full details
Australian Standard Garratt locomotive No. G-18 was built at the Islington Railway Workshops in South Australia in 1944 to the design of the Commonwealth Land Transport Board.
The Australian Standard Garratts were designed and manufactured as a wartime measure during World War Two. The locomotive design was produced from development stage to completion in fourteen months, a record in Australian industry. However, a prototype was not produced and subsequently, numerous issues were found to be inherent in the design.
Along with Islington in South Australia, ASG locomotives were also manufactured by Clyde at their Granville Workshops in New South Wales, Victorian Railways at the Newport Workshops and the Western Australian Government Railways at Midland Junction.
G-18 entered service with Queensland Railways in December 1944. It was withdrawn from service in 1945 and stored until it was sold to the Tasmanian Government Railways in 1950. It was scrapped in 1958.