Water Filter

Production date
See full details

Object Detail

Water filter complete with lid, dripstone filter, and brass tap. Barrel shape, 8-gallon capacity, with applied relief ornament. Pre-Federation Australian coat of arms (as seen on Bendigo filters) and Lithgow medallion with wreath and inscription 'ADVANCE AUSTRALIA' (mould and medallion held at Esbank House, Lithgow Historical Society). Ribbon above the coat of arms is impressed 'JOHN SIMMONDS' and hand decorated as for tobacco jar H26867 and water filter H26879. Ribbon below the coat of arms is impressed 'BRISBANE 1888'. Also has applied floral ornament (thistle, rose, clover, thistle) in four sprigs on face of body. Alternating bands of coggle marks: key pattern and scrolls (distinctive - used only by this maker). Lid has concentric bands of same coggle marks and one band of the applied floral ornament.
CH classification DOMESTIC EQUIPMENT Food Preparation water filter
Production place
H 630 x Dia.395 mm
Media/Materials description
Earthenware, Majolica glaze (Ceramics)
Dripstone (Stone)
Brass (Metals - Non-Ferrous)
<in ribbon> JOHN SIMMONDS \ ADVANCE AUSTRALIA <with coat of arms> \ <in ribbon> BRISBANE 1888
History and use
This water filter complete with lid, dripstone filters and brass tap was manufactured by the Dinmore Brick & Tile Co in 1888 for John Simmonds. Simmonds, a stonemason originally from Brighton, England arrived in Brisbane in 1880, establishing the J. Simmonds Monumental Works in Ann Street soon after. This 8 gallon, barrel shaped filter, made for sale in his shop, was fitted with dripstone filters made by Simmonds.

The Dinmore Brick & Tile Co. was formed in 1884 by a group of Brisbane investors. Though the company's works were in Ipswich, it maintained an office in Queen Street, Brisbane and in 1887 the company brought in an experienced potter from Melbourne, Peter Hale, to expand pottery production. Dinmore Brick & Tile Co. continued to be a major supplier of domestic pottery until its closure during the First World War. This piece was displayed at the ‘Centennial International Exhibition’ in Melbourne in 1888-1889.

Uploaded to the Web 27 May 2011.
Registration number