Leadlight Window

Production date
Circa 1886
See full details

Object Detail


Description
Leadlight window, 35 pane square grid pattern with lead glass flower in centre of window. Wooden frame with arched top, painted pink / white.
Classification
CH classification BUILDINGS Fittings & Materials window
Measurements
L1055 x W60 x H1335 mm
Media/Materials description
Glass, lead, steel
History and use
This leadlight window is from the Bellevue Hotel, which was situated on the corner of George and Alice Streets, Brisbane. Built in 1886, the Bellevue was a focal point of Brisbane social life and hosted many guests including politicians, international sporting teams and film stars. Being next to Parliament House, it had a private bar for parliamentarians fitted with repeaters of the division bells. When a vote was called the MPs had to finish their drinks in a hurry and rush back to the chambers.
The Queensland state government purchased the building in 1967 with the intent of redeveloping the site for government offices. Pressure from the National Trust and the heritage lobby prevented this happening until 1979. The National party government under then Premier Joh Bjelke-Petersen ordered the building be demolished after midnight on the evening of 21 April 1979. Local contractors the Deen Brothers, carried out the work under police protection with 700 protestors in attendance. The destruction of the Bellevue Hotel ultimately led to the introduction of legislation to protect heritage buildings in Queensland.

Uploaded to the Web 27 May 2011.
Registration number
H13801

Colours

Share