Thorough Brace Coach, Cobb & Co. No.100, 10 passenger

See full details

Object Detail


Description
4 wheeled coach, leather brace suspension, faded red, gold lettering. Cobb and Co. E.R.VII No.100 Lic. to carry 8 passengers.
Classification
CH classification TRANSPORT Horse coach
Measurements
L3,657 x W1,828
Signature/Marks
'Cobb & Co. ER. No. 100\VII\Lic. to carry 8 passengers'
<W Gilpin \1911>
History and use
Cobb & Co coach 100 was built in Charleville around 1900. It was used in the Charleville area until the 1920s when it was purchased by AE (Ted) Palmer, a former Cobb & Co road manager to use as a mail coach for his private company. It later passed to droving boss Dugald Cameron, and then to Bill and Reg Hart upon Cameron's death. The Harts all-Aboriginal droving team used the coach, minus its roof, until 1940 when it was left at Windorah. It was subsequently restored by Ferguson's Coachworks in Toowoomba for Bill Bolton's Australiana Museum.
Registration number
H14818

Colours

Share