Cinematograph & Magic Lantern

Production date
1910-1939
Country
Germany
See full details

Object Detail


Description
Sheet metal projector with lens and small kerosene lamp with glass cover. Hand cranked feed for film loops with 2 printed film loops on 35mm film, 1 coloured and 3 printed coloured glass slides. + original printed instructions in 4 languages (pages worn and torn)
Classification
CH classification TOYS Optical cinematograph
Maker
Production place
Measurements
Lantern: L230 x W150 x H153 mm
Lamp with Cover: H140 x Dia.50 mm
Slide: L130 x W35 mm
Media/Materials description
Metal, glass, paper, film
History and use
By the 20th century, most kerosene lamp magic lanterns such as this had come to be seen as children’s toys, rather than serious projection equipment because of the invention of electric slide and rollfilm projectors.

Magic lanterns have been in use since the late 17th century. They project enlarged slide images onto a wall or screen. There is a concave mirror behind a light source that gathers the light and projects it through a slide with an image on it. The light rays cross an aperture and hit a lens which magnifies the picture for public view.

This object is believed to be part of the Marks collection donated to the Queensland Museum by Dr E.N. Marks. The Marks were a prominent Brisbane family who made significant contributions to the fields of science and medicine.

Uploaded to the Web 27 May 2011.
Registration number
H15566

Country

Colours

Share