First Paper Electrophoretic Apparatus made in Australia. Wooden base with two glass tubes either end encasing conductors. Glass tubes with wiring enclosed for sending current through the tray. Glass tray with ribbed base mounted on two wooden stands on the base.
CH classification SCIENCES
L185 x W605 x H235 mm
metal, glass, wood, rubber,stone
DO NOT CLEAN WITH WATER
History and use
This electrophoretic apparatus was built and used at the Red Cross Blood Transfusion Service 1950. The tray was filled with a liquid chlorobenzene solution. The blood sample to be analysed was smeared across a small paper strip and placed in the liquid, where an electric current was applied. When the particles on the strip were charged, they moved to leave a distinctive pattern that, with the help of an electrophoretic scanner, allowed scientists to analyse serum proteins and see if the proteins had a positive or negative charge.
This electrophoresis device and accompanying scanner were restored by J.E O’Hagan in May 1967.
Uploaded to the Web 27 May 2011.