Lamonts Patent Bottle

Country
Scotland
See full details

Object Detail


Description
Pale green glass bottle, with opalescent lustre due to devitrification of the glass with age. Bottle had a Lamont type seal, and the ebonite and rubber stopper is still retained in the bottle.
Classification
CH classification PACKAGES AND CONTAINERS Bottle unembossed, multipurpose or unclassified bottle
Production place
Measurements
H221 x Dia.64 mm
Media/Materials description
Glass, ebonite, rubber
Signature/Marks
OWEN GARDNER \ TRADE MARK \ BRISBANE
LAMONTS \ PATENT \ TRADE MARK
JOHN LAMONT MAKER GLASGOW
History and use
This Lamont design bottle was made for Owen Gardner, one of Queensland’s first makers and distributors of aerated water. Gardner established his first business in William Street, Brisbane in 1853 to distribute spa water from Helidon, near the base of the Toowoomba Range. Although Gardner died in 1888, his business Owen Gardner and Sons continued well into the 20th century with a new factory opened on the corner of Boundary and Melbourne Streets, South Brisbane in 1914.

The Lamont style bottle was designed by John Lamont in England in 1874 and patented in 1876. The design included a rim inside the neck of the bottle and a stopper with a rubber ring. The stoppers were patented in 1881 with a bullet-shaped ebonite or wooden stopper. The stopper was pushed into the bottle to open it. Lamont’s bottles became very popular in Australia with many companies using them, particularly during the 1890s. By the 1910s they were becoming outdated, replaced by improvements in Codd’s style bottles, the development of the internal thread and the crown seal.

Uploaded to the Web 27 May 2011.
Registration number
H20409

Country

Colours

Share