Badge, St Martin's Hospital

Production date
Circa 1922
Country
Australia
State/Province
Queensland
See full details

Object Detail


Description
Badge, circular enamel with dark blue centre with red cross & wreath of stylised flowers in pale blue & ribbon in white enamel. 'St Martins Free of Debt Appeal 1922'
Classification
CH classification NUMISMATICS (MEDALS AND OTHER) Badges Civil
Production place
Measurements
10 x dia.20
Media/Materials description
Brass (Metals - Non-Ferrous)
Enamel (Surface Treatments)
History and use
This badge marks the St Martin’s War Memorial Hospital’s fundraising appeal to clear its debt. This appeal took place in 1922, two years after the hospital opened.

St Martin’s was one of many hospitals built after World War 1 to meet the needs of the thousands of servicemen and women wounded or incapacitated due to their war service. It was also intended as a memorial for those killed during World War 1. The building, in Ann Street, Brisbane, was paid for with funds from donations and public subscriptions and was placed under the control of the Sisters of the Society of the Sacred Advent.

St Martin’s operated as a hospital until it closed in 1971. The building is now known as St Martin’s House.
Registration number
N7120

Country

State/Province

Colours

Share