Automobile- Auto Buggy
See full details
Restored. Iron rimmed wheels [dia. 1130mm] with wooden spokes. Twin cylinder motor c.1908. Vehicle painted burgundy with black and white detailing. Leather seats and upholstered front cabin panel. Large chain attached to cogs positioned at back of wheel hubs. Chest in back seat opens to reveal battery. Brass bugle horn attached to steering column, missing rubber air bag. 2 pedals at floor and 1 gear? lever at side of drivers seat. Right hand drive. Rubber faced foot boards. Missing canopy, can see bolt loops on vehicle where canopy attaches.
Twin cylinder cir cooled petrol engine under floor. Ignition - battery, trembler coils and plugs; Bore - 5 inches (127mm); Stroke - 5 inches (127mm); Displacement - 196 cubic inches (3218 cc); Power - 20 b.h.p. (15 kW); Starting - hand crank; Lubrication - total loss, from mechanical oilers; Transmission - 2 forward and 1 reverse gears, chain drive; Clutch - external contracting band on flywheel extension (hand operated); Brakes - internal expanding on rear wheels (foot operated); Lighting - kerosene; Seating - four; Speed - about 20 miles per hour (32 kph)
Leather (Animal/Human Remains)
Indeterminate (Metals - Indeterminate)
Iron (Metals - Ferrous)
Brass (Metals - Non-Ferrous)
Messrs Howard and Jackson of Sydney were agents for the buggies and wagons built by the International Harvester Company of Akron Ohio U.S.A. This Autobuggy, built around 1909, was bought by Edmond Biggs about 1910, who used it to run a taxi service between Nambour and Mapleton. The Biggs family moved to Brisbane in 1914 and the vehicle was purchased by Mr. T Jackson of Cribb Island. He used it for a taxi service between Nudgee railway station and Cribb Island. The vehicle was repaired and driven in Nundah's Centenary Procession by Mr E Buck in 1938. It was also featured in Toowoomba's centenary parade of 1940. That same year it was presented to the Royal Historical Society of Queensland by Mr D Gunn. After some repairs by the International Harvester Company the Buggy ran in the R.N.A. Cavalcade of transport in 1952. Further restoration has been carried out by the Veteran Car Club, and, after 1971, by the Queensland Museum.