Stereoscopic lens mount, with two brass Harrington and Co., Ltd., Sydney lenses with revolving f/stop disc. In the centre, a brass dial controls the horizontal movement of the wooden lens mounts, but at the bottom a plastic rule nailed to one side. The back of the lens mount has been cut for insertion onto a camera.
CH classification PHOTOGRAPHY Camera Accessories lens
Harrington & Co (estab. 2002)
Late 19th Century
L88 x W152 x H55 mm
Wood, brass, metal, plastic
HARRINGTON & CO. LTD. \ SYDNEY
f 11 f 8 f 22
History and use
These stereoscopic lenses, mounted on timber, were made by Harrington & Co, Sydney, and were used by early freelance news photographer Fred Port. Harrington & Company imported, manufactured and sold cameras and associated equipment throughout Australia in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. Many large manufacturers made products for Harrington’s, as they were the key to sales and distribution of product throughout the country. They operated a Queensland branch from 93 Queen St, Brisbane at the turn of the century which would have been just across the road from the Telegraph Chambers, where Port operated his photographic studio.
Queensland Museum owns a large collection of Port’s camera equipment and resulting photographs. These items tell the story of early twentieth century professional photography in Queensland, including aviation and war photography conducted here and overseas.
Uploaded to the Web 27 May 2011.
Port, Frederick (b.1896, d.1965)